When it was created in 1979, CEJ had as its mission, the professional training of judges and public prosecutors and the development of training activities for lawyers, legal candidates, solicitors and justice officials.
The mission of CEJ was extended by Decree-Law n.º 146-A/84, of 9 May, to include the professional training for registrars and notaries and employees of the Social Reinsertion Institute and the General Directorates of Prison Services and Tutelary Services for Minors. Under the same law, CEJ began research in the area of its activity.
In 1998, Law N.º 16/98, of 8 April, regulated the structure and functioning of CEJ.
Currently, the admission, formation and nature, structure and functioning of CEJ are regulated by Law N.º 2/2008, of 14 January.
Directors of the Center for Judicial Studies since its creation:
- Justice António Miguel Caeiro (1979-1981)
- Prosecutor General Álvaro José Brilhante Laborinho Lúcio (1981-1990)
- Justice Armando Acácio Gomes Leandro (1990-1998)
- Judge José Fernando Pereira Baptista (1998-2001)
- Judge Mário Silva Tavares Mendes (2001-2004)
- Professor Anabela Maria Pinto de Miranda Rodrigues (2004-2010)
- Judge Ana Luísa Passos Martins da Silva Geraldes (2010-2011)
- Professor António Pedro Barbas Homem (2011-2016)
- Justice João Manuel da Silva Miguel (since 2016)
The building in Limoeiro where CEJ is based is, in the words of Feliciano de Castilho, a “truly historic place”, which is due to it having served as a stage for important events throughout the history of Portugal.
Over the centuries, the building has been used for different purposes, some of which are part of the history of Portuguese judicial institutions.
For more information see:
• Brief Synthesis of the History of Limoeiro - Jorge Gonçalves
• The Center for Judicial Studies and Limoeiro, CEJ/Almedina, 2007
• Gonçalves, Jorge, «Limoeiro – notes on its history», Revista do CEJ, n.º 1, 2004, p. 293 et seq., CEJ/Almedina
• Gonçalves, Jorge, «Limoeiro legends and stories», Revista do CEJ, no. 5, 2006, p. 249 et seq., CEJ/Almedina
• Gonçalves, Jorge, «Limoeiro legends and stories (continued)», Revista do CEJ, n.º 6, 2007, p. 257 et seq., CEJ/Almedina
• CEJ 25 years: Memory of the Future